Reports to: Director, Development Engineering
The Development Engineer will be responsible for providing technical support for projects from origination to commencement of construction, including preliminary design, permitting, interconnecting, and constructing solar PV roof-top and ground-mounted projects between one and 100 megawatts + in size.
Candidates must demonstrate keen interest and knowledge of the solar industry and a proven ability to efficiently and effectively multi-task in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop constraints maps
- Create preliminary project site plans & layouts
- Produce energy production estimates (PVSyst)
- Assess Point of Interconnection (POI) location and overall site viability (desktop and site visits)
- Interconnection and Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) management (utility POC, drafting interconnection requests, preliminary interconnection feedback, reviewing and assessing studies, and GIA’s)
- Bid and manage outside environmental and engineering consultants
- Reviewing, assessing, clarifying results of studies (Critical Issues Analysis, ESA phase I, Environmental Assessment, wetlands, geotech, ALTA, Threatened/Endangered Species, Cultural Resources, etc.) and identifying risks or design constraints.
- POC with federal, state and local agencies (SHPO, DEQ, USACOE, building inspector, etc.)
- Technical discretionary permitting support
- RFP response support
- Due diligence of acquired projects
- Assist project team with other projects on an ad-hoc basis
- Travel requirement – up to 50%, often on short notice
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their manager.
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate:
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, proactive and committed to excellence
- Broad technical understanding of overall project requirements
- Strong Communication skills - ability to distill technical information to layperson
- Ability to multitask and prioritize needs with timely responses
- Creative problem solving
- Technical risk identification at all stages of development
- Ability to interpret construction drawings and review project documentation for technical requirements
- Able to manage a myriad of competing priorities
- A “Can Do” positive attitude, coupled with superior problem-solving skills
- Extremely organized
- High energy, responds well to pressure, works to deadlines
- Creative and a solid sense of humor
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as with a team
- Proven working experience as a project, sales or development engineer for 2 or more years
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Structural, or Mechanical) are preferred Other quantitative-focused majors will be considered
- Understanding of the relevant electrical codes, building codes, and permitting procedures for large scale solar projects
- Software experience: Google SketchUp, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, PV Syst (or similar), ARCGIS (or similar), any project/construction management software
This position will be based in Charlottesville, VA or Davis, CA.
To Apply: please click here